Divorcing on a UK Spouse Visa: What You Need to Know

by | Jul 28, 2023

Child refusing visitation
Divorce is a challenging phase in one’s life, and the situation can be even more intricate when it affects immigration status. For individuals in the UK on a spouse visa, a divorce may jeopardise their ability to stay in the country. This article delves into the consequences of divorcing on a spouse visa and provides guidance on safeguarding your status in the UK.

Understanding Spouse Visa Curtailment

What is a spouse visa?

A spouse visa is a category of family visa in the UK. It permits individuals to reside with their spouse or civil partner, who is either a UK citizen or has a settled status in the UK. Typically granted for 33 months, it can be extended by another 30 months given the eligibility criteria are met. After this period, individuals can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). However, the validity of this visa relies heavily on the ongoing relationship with the spouse. If the relationship dissolves during the visa period, the Home Office may enact a Spouse Visa Curtailment. This means they might cut short your visa, typically giving a 60-day notice. This brief window is crucial for applying for an alternate visa.

Importance of Notifying the Home Office

Will the Home Office be aware of my separation or divorce?

It’s mandatory to inform the Home Office if your relationship ends while on a spouse visa. While they might not “automatically” discover the termination of your relationship, avoiding this responsibility can result in severe consequences. These range from immediate deportation to potential charges of immigration fraud, and even a ban on future UK immigration. In certain cases, the UK-settled spouse might report the separation to the Home Office, adding complexities to the situation. It’s a risk that’s best avoided.

Options to Stay in the UK After Divorce

Will I be required to leave the UK post-divorce?

Failure to act can mandate you to exit the UK before your curtailed visa concludes. If your visa has under 60 days left, you must depart the UK before its natural expiration.

MIAM direct mediation services
child refusing contact

What measures can ensure my stay in the UK after a divorce?

Several avenues can be pursued to remain in the UK post-divorce:

  • Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR): Those residing in the UK for over five years can apply for ILR.
  • Work Visa: If you’re employed in the UK, your employer might be able to sponsor a work visa.
  • Family Visa: As the primary caregiver of a child in the UK, this could be an alternative. This path can also aid in accruing the necessary five-year residency for ILR.
  • Domestic Abuse: Victims of domestic abuse during their relationship can potentially apply for ILR.

For the best outcomes, it’s paramount to consult with a seasoned immigration lawyer, especially one proficient in family law and divorce. They can guide you on the most suitable route and assist in preparing a compelling application, enhancing the likelihood of continuing your life in the UK post-divorce. However, prompt consultation is vital to ensure all necessary permissions are in order before your current stay expires.


Divorce, while emotionally taxing, becomes exceedingly complex when it interferes with immigration status. Neglecting the immigration aspect can be detrimental. Compassionate yet expert legal advice is indispensable. Given the complex nature of immigration rules, you need the expertise of a specialist immigration lawyer. [Find out your rights and learn how to protect your life in the UK by reaching out to our experts.]

We are ready to receive your message.

By completing this form you consent to Direct Mediation Services holding the information you provide us about you in accordance with our Privacy notice. By submitting your email address and telephone number to us you consent to us contacting you in order to enable us to deal with your query. Calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.

Frequently Asked Questions

What exactly is a spouse visa in the UK?

A spouse visa grants individuals permission to reside in the UK with their spouse, provided the spouse is a UK citizen or has achieved settled status in the country.

If my marriage ends in a divorce, do I have to exit the UK?

For those on a spouse visa, their right to stay in the UK hinges on the continuity of their marital relationship. If this relationship dissolves, and no action is taken regarding the visa, individuals typically must depart the UK once the relationship terminates—even if the divorce isn't finalised.

What if domestic abuse led to the termination of our relationship?

In cases where the relationship ends due to domestic abuse, there's a special provision. Victims can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). In such situations, it's paramount to consult both a divorce and immigration specialist for guidance.

Will the Home Office be informed if my relationship concludes?

The Home Office doesn't automatically learn about relationship terminations. However, individuals on a spouse visa are obligated to inform them if such a situation arises. Neglecting to do so can be risky. Not only could your former partner inform the Home Office, but failing to notify them is considered a criminal offence. This could result in immediate deportation and a potential ban on future UK immigration applications.

Latest Posts